- 3/4 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup butter softened and cubed.
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 and 1/3 cup hazelnut meal
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1/4 cup prunes
- 1/4 cup espresso (1 double shot)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line the base of a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Soak the prunes in the espresso for about 20 minutes.
- Place the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat and begin melting the chocolate, stirring constantly until almost melted.
- Remove from heat and continue stirring until all the chocolate is melted then set aside to cool slightly.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add in the hazelnut meal, egg yolks, chocolate, prunes and espresso into the mixture, mixing lightly until well combined. Set this aside.
- Aerate the eggs, beating the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a metal spoon, gently fold half the egg whites into the mixture then repeat with the remaining egg whites, making sure not to over mix.
- Pour the cake mix into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for ten minutes before removing from the pan and allowing to cool on a rack.