- 4 oz anejo rum (Diplomatico Reserva)
- 1½ oz fresh lime juice
- 4 oz homemade sweet coconut milk (see recipe below)
- ½ oz maraschino liqueur (Luxardo)
- 3 large sweet basil leaves
- 3 cups of loose ice
- 1 basil top per cocktail
- Combine all ingredients with one (1) basil leaf in a blender. Blend until ice is sufficiently chopped. It is sometimes better to crush the ice a bit by hand if they are large ice cubes.
- Pour into rocks or martini glasses, garnish and serve.
Homemade Sweet Coconut Milk
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup sugar
- In a small saucepot heat 1¼ cups of water until boiling.
- Add one cup shredded coconut. Reduce heat to medium, stir continually to prevent coconut from burning.
- Add ½ cup sugar and continue stirring until dissolved.
- Pour into blender and blend ingredients on high until fully combined.
- Strain ingredients through chinois/strainer/cheesecloth and into container and refrigerate to serve.