- 8 ounces dried chickpeas (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 1 cup lightly packed Italian parsley leaves (about ½ ounce)
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves (about ½ ounce)
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Rinse chickpeas and place in a large bowl. Cover with enough cold water to allow chickpeas to triple in volume. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- The next day, rinse chickpeas and let drain thoroughly in a strainer while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely ground, about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and cover. Refrigerate for 20 minutes before forming falafel. Prepare sauce while mixture is resting.
- Scoop two heaping tablespoons per falafel and gently form into a slightly flattened ball. Place falafel on the airfry basket, being careful not to press down.
- Select AIRFRY/450°F/SUPER CONVECTION/15 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- Cook in rack position 4 until lightly browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with spicy feta sauce.
Spicy Feta Sauce
Yields 1 cup
- 8 ounces good-quality feta cheese (block form)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine feta, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes in the bowl of a food processor. Process until feta is broken down and smooth, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the machine running, add the olive oil through the feed tube and process until incorporated. Combine water and lemon juice in a small bowl. With the machine running, add the lemon juice mixture through the feed tube and process until a sauce forms.
- Use immediately or cover and store in refrigerator. Sauce will thicken when chilled; if necessary, remove from refrigerator to warm slightly and whisk before using.