- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 quarts water
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken
- 1 cup medium-diced carrots
- 1 cup medium-diced onion
- 1 cup medium-diced celery
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (plus additional for oiling the chicken)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cooked Jasmine rice
- Steamed broccoli florets
- In a large container, combine the salt, sugar and water and add the chicken. Make more brine if necessary to fully cover the chicken. Brine the chicken for 8 hours to overnight.
- Pre-heat the Smart Oven on convection roast to 375F. Place the Breville roasting pan accessory in the oven to preheat.
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Truss the chicken and tuck the wing tips underneath. Season the chicken with the pepper and lightly oil it.
- Place the oven rack on the lowest rung in the Breville Smart Oven.
- In a medium bowl, combine the carrots, onion, and celery and toss with the 2 tablespoons of oil. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and transfer to the preheated pan. Place the chicken on the mirepoix and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F or the juices from the pierced thigh run clear.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes and serve on top of the steamed rice, surrounded with the seasoned broccoli. Drizzle the pan drippings on top of the rice and vegetables for additional flavor.