Yields 6 cocktails
- 4 1/2 cups spicy ginger beer, preferably Fentimans
- 2 limes
- 9 ounces vodka
- Pour the ginger beer into a medium baking dish. Use a microplane grater to finely grate in the zest of 1 lime (be careful to avoid the white pith), and give a stir. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- Just before you’re ready to make the drinks, remove the frozen ginger beer and cut off big chunks. Place the chunks in a food processor and give a pulse until it resembles a lovely slush. (Note: If you don’t have a food processor, grab a sturdy fork and start chipping away at the frozen ginger beer with the tines until it’s all shaved looking.)
- Fill rocks glasses with the slush so it’s almost overflowing (about 3/4 cup), pour 1.5 ounces of vodka into each one, and then, if need be, top off with a bit more of the slush so it towers above the rim.
- Cut the remaining lime into wedges and squeeze one over each drink. Pop a stirrer or small straw into each glass and drink away.