Smoking in the Side Car
- 2oz (60ml) cognac
- .75oz (23ml) Cointreau
- .75oz (23ml) lemon juice
- .25oz (10ml) simple syrup
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Pinch of cracked black pepper
- Pinch of hickory wood chips
- Sugar, to garnish
- Pinch of apple wood chips
- For the smoked sugar, put sugar in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Add apple wood chips to the burn chamber of the Breville Smoking Gun. Place hose under plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the sugar. Turn smoking gun on to HIGH SPEED and ignite wood chips. Switch to LOW SPEED and smoke for a few seconds until bowl is filled with a dense smoke. Remove hose and reseal plastic wrap. Let infuse for 3 minutes, shaking sugar occasionally.
- Meanwhile, chill a cocktail glass. Just before serving dip the edges of the glass into the smoked sugar. Set aside.
- For the cocktail, combine both alcohols, lemon juice, simple syrup and ice in a cocktail shaker. Add wood chips and pepper to the burn chamber of the Breville Smoking Gun. Place hose in cocktail shaker with the opening sitting above the liquid and and cover partially with the lid. Turn smoking gun on to HIGH SPEED and ignite wood chips. Switch to LOW SPEED and smoke for a few seconds until the shaker fills with a dense smoke. Remove hose and cover with the lid. Gently swirl or shake the cocktail.
- Strain into the chilled glass. Serve immediately.