For the crust
- 1 2/3 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 4 red fingerling potatoes (about 8 ounces total)
- 6 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 eggs
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups (6 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Make the crust: Place flour, butter and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Refrigerate the bowl with ingredients and the paddle attachment until cold. Mix on low speed until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle water over flour mixture and continue mixing on low until a dough forms and starts to gather around paddle. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a smooth ball. Flatten ball into a 6-inch disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.Remove dough from refrigerator and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into 12-inch circle. Fit dough into 9 ½-inch deep-dish pie plate. Trim edges to ½-inch from rim, fold them under and crimp as desired. Use a fork to prick holes all over bottom and sides of crust. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 1 hour. If desired, wrap in plastic wrap after 1 hour and refrigerate overnight.
- While crust is chilling, cook potatoes, shallot and garlic: Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with 1 quart of cold water. Add 4 teaspoons kosher salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then slice into ¼-inch thick rounds and reserve.
- Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook until soft but not brown, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Insert wire rack into bottom rack position. Place included pizza pan or other large baking pan on the rack. Select BAKE/400°F/CONVECTION/20 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- Place 2 large sheets of foil on the crust, leaving a few inches of overhang on all sides, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pie dish from oven then use overhanging edges to carefully remove foil and pie weights to a bowl. Lower temperature to 350°F/CONVECTION, set time for 10 minutes and return pie dish to oven. Bake until crust is dry and just slightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, prepare filling: In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, cream, spinach, 2 ½ teaspoons salt, pepper, nutmeg and cooked shallot mixture. Whisk well to combine.
- When crust is finished but still warm, spread half of the sliced potatoes and half of the crumbled feta over the bottom of the crust. Stir the filling to ensure the ingredients are well mixed and pour it into the crust. Scatter the remaining potatoes and feta evenly over the top of the quiche, allowing them to sink into the filling.
- Bake at 350°F/CONVECTION until quiche is golden and center is set but still jiggles a little, 40-45 minutes. If the crust gets too brown before the filling cooks through, place a large square of foil over the quiche.
- Let stand for 10 minutes then slice into wedges and serve. Or, let cool completely, refrigerate and serve the next day.
Keep crust ingredients and unbaked crust cold at all times. Do not skip the resting steps as this will cause the crust to shrink or collapse during blind baking.
Add one sprig thyme, one clove garlic and 5 peppercorns to the potato cooking water to infuse more flavor into the potatoes.