Here’s a new play on nachos — made with shrimp and potato skins. Chef Andy Husbands of Tremont647 in Boston takes his award winning Nacho Shrimp and remakes it for the home cook with Breville’s Deep Fryer and the Smart Grill. This recipe is from the video series, Thought for food, and it was featured in the Thought for food 2012 eBook.
First, prepare the Shrimp Marinade, and as you marinate the shrimp for 1 to 3 hours, continue with the Salsa, and Spicy Cheese Sauce (recipes below). Then put it all together with the following ingredients and instructions.
- Marinated Shrimp (recipe below)
- Salsa (recipe below)
- Spicy Cheese Sauce, warm (recipe below)
- 2 baked potatoes
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 2 scallions, cut into thin rings
- Preheat your Breville Deep Fryer to 350°F. And preheat your Breville Smart Grill to 400°F.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and hollow out, leaving a quarter-inch thickness of potato in the skin.
- Deep-fry the potato skins until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from Deep Fryer and set on paper towel to cool and drain.
- Place the Marinated Shrimp on the hot Smart Grill, close top plate and sear for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until shrimp are pinkish and white.
- Place the cooked potatoes on a serving plate, drizzle a little cheese sauce into each. Place a few shrimp in each so the tails curl out like a shrimp in a shrimp cocktail cup. Drizzle a little more cheese sauce over the shrimp. Garnish with salsa, bacon bits, scallions.
- Mix all ingredients well and toss shrimp:
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Zest of 2 limes
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon each chili flakes, black pepper, and olive oil
- 12 jumbo shrimp
- Let marinate for 1 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine all ingredients:
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 lime, squeezed (2 tablespoons juice)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Kosher salt to taste
Spicy Cheese Sauce Ingredients
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1 to 3 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1/2 pound orange cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound sharp white Vermont cheddar, grated
Spicy Cheese Sauce Instructions
- In a 1- or 2-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat, bring the evaporated milk to a simmer, add cumin and jalapenos, and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add the cheeses, stirring constantly, until well combined.
- Keep warm and use immediately, or refrigerate until ready to use.