World champion barista Heather Perry shows you how to make one of her favorite drinks of all time, The Naked Lemon.
In this new, summertime spin on the classic Espresso Romano, a bright, citrusy burst of lemon cuts through the cool, syrupy espresso like a ray of Mediterranean sunshine. So light, refreshing and soothing, you might think you’re in Amalfi.
The Naked Lemon
- espresso beans
- 3 lemons
- simple syrup
(2 parts sugar to 1 part water)
- Slice 2 lemons and halve slices. Squeeze over cocktail ice, mix together and freeze for 2-4 hours until lemons are hard.
- After lemon-ice mixture is frozen, finely grind the coffee beans.
- Fill a double-sized portafilter with ground coffee, tamp the coffee, place it in the machine, and turn handle until snug.
- Peel two 2-inch sections from a lemon. Turn over and extract zest oils into martini shaker. Drop peels into shaker.
- Pull two shots of espresso into pre-warmed glasses and pour into shaker. Make sure espresso covers the peel, and let stand for one minute.
- Add previously frozen lemon-ice mixture to 12 ounce glass. Add one tablespoon of simple syrup to taste.
- Fill martini shaker with plain ice and shake until espresso is chilled.
- Pour into glass and serve.