- 7 whole salt-packed anchovies, rinsed, soaked, and filleted
- 2 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sunflower, peanut or grapeseed oil
- 1-ounce chunk of Parmesan, very finely grated
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chilled
- Chunk of Parmesan for grating
- Maldon salt
- Anchovy filets for garnish
- Rustic Italian bread, cut into large chunks and baked at 400°F until brown & crunchy all the way through.
- Put the anchovy filets in a small food processor or large cylindrical vessel (if using immersion blender) and pulse to a rough paste. Add the mustard and vinegar, crack in the egg, and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy. With motor running, gradually drizzle in the oil in a steady stream. Finally, add the Parmesan and blend until it’s all combined. Chill in the fridge to thicken.
- To serve, dress lettuce leaves with dressing, toss with croutons, add anchovies and grate fresh Parmesan over the top just before serving.