- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan; add in the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the squash into the pan and stir to coat with the onion mix then add in the stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, cooking with the lid on until the squash is cooked thoroughly and is tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Place the Control Grip™ into the saucepan and blend until the soup is smooth.
Moroccan Butternut Squash Soup: Add in the following spices to the onion while sautéing.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam marsala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
Curried Butternut Squash: Add in 1 tablespoon curry powder to the onions while sautéing.
Creamy Butternut Squash: Add in 1/2 cup cream when adding stock.
Thai Style Butternut Squash: Add 2 small fresh red chilies and 1 tablespoon chopped lemon grass to the onion mixture. Add in 1/2 cup coconut milk before puréeing the mix.
Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup: Add 1/2 cup thoroughly washed red lentils when adding the chicken stock to the saucepan. You may need to add a little more water to thin if the mixture becomes too thick.