- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 cup hulled barley
- 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds
- 1/2 cup Pernod
- Crushed ice
- One 4″x 4″ patch fresh wheat grass
- Pour the filtered water into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the barley and cook at a low boil for 10 minutes, just until you can smell the aroma of cooked grains rising from the pot.
- Strain the hot cooking liquid directly into a high-speed blender and add the almonds. Put on the lid and pulse the machine a few times to break the almonds into pieces; then let the machine run on high speed for 30 seconds until the liquid is opaque.
- Pass the almond milk through a very fine strainer and into a measuring cup. Discard the almond pulp and place the liquid in the refrigerator until chilled. Once cool, stir the Pernod into the almond milk base.
- To assemble, add a small scoop of crushed ice to a glass and scatter blades of wheat grass attractively around the sides. Fill to the top with more crushed ice and finally pour the chilled almond and Pernod cocktail over the ice. Serve immediately.