- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- About 2 cups ice-cold sparkling water
- Fryer oil, such as peanut oil
- 1 lemon (if needed)
- Roman zucchini (the kind with ridges), mixture of green & yellow, cut into batons
- Handful of mint leaves, preferably black mint
- Holland chilies
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and give it a good stir.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and plop in the egg yolk. Whisk in the ice-cold water 1/4 cup at a time, stopping when you have a smooth batter that’s the consistency of heavy cream.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill if not using immediately.
- Heat fryer to 350°F. Dip the zucchini batons in the batter and drop into the fryer.
- Remove when zucchini starts to turn a very light gold, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine chilies, a splash of vinegar, a glug of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and chopped mint.
- Stir and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Remove zucchini from fryer and drain briefly on paper towels. Toss them with a healthy pinch of salt and serve alongside the chili dressing and sliced lemons.