- A knob of butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup (200ml) Guinness
- Long splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound (450g) mature, strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 pieces toast
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour. Cook until mixture starts to turn a light brown. Pour in the Guinness in a slow, steady stream and whisk as you go, to avoid lumps. Add the mustard powder, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture up to a simmer. Add the grated cheese to the pan and stir until the cheese is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- Once smooth, remove from the heat, pour into a shallow container and allow to set.
- Once set, spread the mixture onto each piece of toast, and place in the oven under the broiler setting. Cook until cheese is bubbling and starts to get golden brown in some parts. Serve immediately.