Why are cookies so often relegated to second-string dessert status — something to placate the kids while the adults enjoy cheesecake or apple pie? There are so many varieties and cookies are easy and fun to make. And in some circumstances, they can be the perfect finish to your meal. One tasty favorite is the Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Comfort food for a comfy night
Let’s set the scene …
It’s a snowy evening in New England, and traffic crawled through the ice and slush your entire commute home. Luckily, you had the foresight to leave your slow cooker bubbling away all day, and you come home to the perfect comfort food practically ready and waiting — turkey soup.
With just an hour left to go on in the slow cooker, you pour a glass of wine for yourself and your husband, turn on the iPod dock in your kitchen, and spend a few minutes making a dessert together that will top off your cozy evening at home.
Triple threat cookies
These cookies are a chocolaty step up on a traditional favorite that perfectly pairs with any comfort food. These delicious cookies can be made in less than an hour while your soup simmers away.
And you’ll have plenty left for tomorrow night as well. Infused with melted chocolate and generously heaped with two kinds of chocolate chips, these cookies will satisfy the chocolate lover in anyone.
For convenience and cooking speed, this recipe is calculated for a countertop convection oven, but you could easily make it in your standard kitchen oven as well (just increase the cooking time).
Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (melted)
- 1¾ cups unbleached flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstartch
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and unsalted butter. Beat in the egg.
- Add vanilla and melted chocolate and mix until combined. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips to the creamed butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix the ingredients until just combined.
- Drop cookie dough balls onto a nonstick pan, spacing the cookies about two inches apart.
- Position the rack in the middle height position. Turn the function dial until the indicator on the LCD screen points to the COOKIE function. Set the temperature to 350°F (175°C) and set the timer to 9 minutes. Press the START/CANCEL button to activate. NOTE: Bake an additional minute for crispier cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for one minute, then remove with a nylon spatula and transfer to a cooling rack.