The unforgettable scent of almond is what still makes this a family favorite.
When we were growing up, we would usually have our angel food cakes “naked.” However, if Mom prepares it for somebody else, she glazes it.
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 12)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon white vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl, sift first 3 ingredients together.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add 1 1/3 cups of sugar and beat on high speed until mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Fold in vanilla and almond extracts. Sift in about a quarter of the flour and sugar mixture. Gently fold in. Continue sifting remainder, a quarter cup at a time, until the flour mixture is incorporated into the egg whites.
- Pour batter into 10-inch ungreased tube pan. Take a knife and gently cut through batter to remove large air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. When you remove from the oven, immediately invert the pan and stand on a tall bottle. Let cool upside down.
- When cake is completely cool, take a knife and loosen cake from the sides and the inner tube. Remove cake to a cake plate.
Creamy Lemon Glaze
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Over low heat, melt butter in saucepan. Add lemon peel, powdered sugar, and 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir in additional lemon juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it’s thin enough to pour but not too wet.
- Pour glaze over cake and let cool until firm.