Thai Green Curry Chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon white, peppercorn, toasted
- 2 teaspoons cumin, seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons coriander, seeds, roasted
- 2 inches galangal, peeled sliced
- 2 lemongrass, pale section only, chopped
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 2 whole, garlic, bulbs, peeled, (approx. 22 cloves)
- 4 long green chilies, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (8-ounce) cans coconut cream
- 2 pounds boneless, chicken thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 ounces fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated palm, sugar
- 4 ounces green beans, diagonally halved
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced, bamboo shoots , drained
- 1 bunch basil
- steamed jasmine, rice, to serve
- To make the green curry paste, place peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds in a large frying pan. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until fragrant. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Transfer to the blender jug.
- Add galangal, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, chili, shrimp paste and oil into the blender jug and secure lid. Dial to BLEND. Process for 1 minute. Scrape down sides. Secure lid. Dial to BLEND. Process for another minute or until paste is smooth.
- Transfer the thick cream from the top of the cans of coconut cream into a bowl. Reserve thinner coconut cream underneath.
- Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add the thick coconut cream; cook stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until oil starts to separate from the cream and paste will be fragrant.
- Add chicken, chicken stock and reserved thin coconut cream. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until hot and chicken is cooked. Add kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, palm sugar, beans and bamboo shoots. Cook, uncovered, for 5 more minutes or until beans are tender. Stir through basil. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.