T-Bone Steak with Lemongrass-Habanero Marinade
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 lemongrass stalks, trimmed to within 2 inches of the root end and finely minced
- 2 habanero peppers, halved and seeds removed
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Two 10-ounce T-bone steaks, 3/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- To make the marinade: Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blitz on high until well blended.
- Generously salt and pepper the steaks. Place in a glass baking dish and pour half of the marinade over the steaks. Marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the butter and peanut oil over high heat until just barely smoking. Add the steaks, cover the pan with a lid, and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover, flip the steaks, and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the steaks, uncovered, for another 2 minutes or so. Do the steaks look caramelized and moist and shiny from the marinade? Good, they are ready to eat. Remove the steaks from the pan and let rest on a cutting board for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the pan juices over the steaks; serve immediately.