- 3 to 4 pounds strawberries, hulled
- 2 to 4 lemons
- 4 to 6 cups caster sugar, depending on sweetness of berries
- Good quality aged balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Place strawberries and 2 of the chopped lemons into the bowl of a food processor (remove the lemon seeds but no need to remove the pith). Roughly blitz until strawberries and lemons start to break down.
- Add a few large tablespoons of sugar and pulse again until berries are smoother and sugar is well combined. Taste and see if it needs more sugar or lemon, depending on preference; the flavor of the lemon should be intense but not overpower the strawberries.
- Once the flavor is right and the consistency is smooth, add a small handful of fresh basil leaves. Give one final blitz and then pour purée into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen.
- Garnish a few scoops with fresh basil leaves, a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and an even tinier drizzle of olive oil.