Yields 16 pieces
- 1 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup jicama, brunoise cut (1/4 inch dice)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
- 8 slices very thinly sliced white or wheat bread (like Pepperidge Farm Very Thin Bread)
- 3 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In the work bowl of a Breville Sous Chef fitted with a metal blade, add the shrimp and eggs, seasoning with salt and pepper. Process until smooth, about 20-30 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and fold in the jicama and scallions.
- Using the back of a spoon or an off-set spatula, coat the bread evenly with the shrimp mousse. Top with a generous teaspoon of the sesame seeds.
- Preheat a Breville deep fryer to 375°F. Place the toast in the deep fryer, mousse side down. Cook for 2 minutes on the first side, then flip to do the second side and cook 1 minute on second side.
- Lift the fry basket out of the oil and drain the excess oil from the toast. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Trim the crusts and cut the squared slices into two triangles. Season with salt. Repeat with remaining slices. Serve immediately.