- 1/4 cup smoked, paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried minced, garlic
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon black, mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow, mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 2 tablespoons olive/vegetable oil blend
- 1/4 cup apple, cider vinegar
- filtered, water, or stock for cooking
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ Sauce
- sliced, dill pickle , for serving
- sliced pickled jalapeño
- Place paprika, onion, garlic, peppercorns, mustard seeds, and celery seed in blender jug. Dial to MILL setting and process for 30 sec.
- Add salt and press blend for 10 seconds then brown sugar and process for additional 15 sec.
- Rub 1/3 cup spice mix all over pork and wrap with plastic wrap reserving 1/2 cup of rub for BBQ sauce. Let sit in refrigerator for 4-24 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and allow to stand for 30 min.
- Heat a large heavy bottom pan over high heat then add the oil blend.
- Allow to come to an almost smoking pan and add the pork pieces and sear on all sides until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place in a slow cooker. Add apple cider vinegar and fill with just enough filtered water or stock to come 1/2 way up the pieces (about 1 cup).
- Cook the recommended amount of time per manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Once done place meat in a square baking dish and shred with two forks using a scraping motion adding 1/3 cup of the cooking liquid to ease the shredding and moisten the meat.
- Once meat is completely shredded, add 1 cup of BBQ sauce and mix in completely. Serve on mini Hawaiian rolls or your favorite mini buns with remaining BBQ sauce and top with sliced jalapeños and sliced dill pickles or your favorite toppings.
*Alternatively, pork can be cooked in a pressure cooker for 45min.
*Save leftover rub in airtight container for future use. Can be saved for up to 3 months.