See the Breville Deep Fryer in action as Adèle Schober makes tempura asparagus, sweet potato, and calamari.
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups iced water
For frying – (but try lots of different seafood and veggies)
- Sliced sweet potatoes
- Asparagus spears
- Sliced calamari
- Fill deep fryer with oil to the ‘MAX’ level and set the temperature to 375°F.
- To prepare batter, sift flour into a bowl. Make a well in the center. Add egg yolks and iced water stirring until just combined. The batter should be rough and only half mixed. As batter will thicken on standing, use immediately.
- Coat food of choice in batter allowing excess batter to drain off.
- Deep fry in small batches until pale golden, approximately 4-5 minutes allowing the oil to recover to the correct temperature between each batch. Place basket in ‘Load or Drain’ position, and allow excess oil to drain from food.
Tip: If batter becomes too thick, thin down with extra iced water. when the basket is in the ‘Frying’ position, always use tongs and gently lower the battered food into the oil
Tempura Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin or sherry
- ½ cup strained chicken stock
Combine soy sauce, mirin and stock. Serve as dipping sauce for Tempura.