Chef Patricia Yeo of OM Restaurant & Lounge and Moksa Restaurant in Cambridge, Massachusetts, demonstrated this dish in the Thought for Food video series, and it was featured in the Thought for food 2012 eBook.
Mushroom Dan Dan Mein
Prepare the Sofrito, Spicy Chili, and Mushroom Sauce (recipes below). Then continue with these ingredients and instructions.
- 1/2 cup Sofrito (recipe below)
- 1 cup Spicy Chili Sauce (recipe below)
- Mushroom Sauce (recipe below)
- 2 cups dried black mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup hon-shimeji mushrooms
- 1 pound dried egg noodles (I use an Asian noodle, but angel hair pasta will work just as well)
- 2 cups bok choy shoots
- Cook noodles, following directions on the package.
- Set your Breville Hot Wok on a high heat, add canola oil, and stir in Sofrito for about 3 to 5 minutes or until it is fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients – mushrooms, bok choy, noodles, Chili Sauce, and Mushroom Sauce.
- Toss and cook until noodles are warmed through, depending on how much there is in the wok – longer if there is more. If you are adding hot noodles, just mix together.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy with chopsticks.
- In a bowl, mix together:
- 1/2 cup garlic
- 1/2 cup shallots
- 3 bird chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup Tianjin (preserved vegetables)
- 1/2 cup salted fermented black soybeans
Spicy Chili Sauce
- Blend or stir all ingredients together:
- 1 jar Guizhou black bean and chili sauce
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped (whatever you have; dried mushrooms have more flavor, but button mushrooms work)
- 1 teaspoon star anise, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 wide strip lemon zest
- 1 cup rice wine (Shaoxing or sake)
Mushroom Sauce Instructions
- Using medium heat in the Hot Wok, caramalize onions, garlic, and mushrooms, until onions are falling apart — 15 to 30 minutes. For the last 10 minutes, raise heat to high, allowing the vegetables to caramelize slightly.
- Place the caramalized ingredients into the Breville Sous Chef food processor, and add the star anise, cinnamon, lemon zest, and rice wine. Purée and set aside.