Mocha Mousse Cake
- 350g dark chocolate, chopped
- 130g butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 200g digestive biscuits
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 300ml thickened cream
- 30ml strong espresso coffee, chilled
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- Choc curls, to serve
- Line the base and sides of a 22cm (base measurement) springform pan with baking paper.
- Place 50g of the chocolate, 100g butter and honey in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan half filled with simmering water (making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Stir with a metal spoon until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Place biscuits into a food processor or blender and process until finely crushed. Add to chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Spread over the base of prepared pan. Place in fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile place remaining dark chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Stir with a metal spoon until melted and smooth. Remove bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Stir in egg yolks until combined.
- Assemble mixer with the whisk; add egg whites to mixer bowl. Slowly turn mixer to AERATE/WHIP setting and beat egg whites until firm peaks form.
- Assemble mixer with the scraper whisk and the small mixer bowl. Place cream and coffee into bowl and attach the pouring cover. Slowly turn mixer to CREAMING/BEATING setting and beat for 1–2 minutes or until just thickened and very soft peaks form.
- Add half the cream mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Gently fold through half of the egg whites and mix until it is combined. Repeat with the remaining cream mixture and egg whites. Spoon mixture over biscuit base. Smooth surface. Cover with plastic food wrap. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight, until set.
- Just before serving release cake from the springform pan and peel away baking paper. Place cake onto a serving plate. Dust with cocoa powder, top with choc curls.