Eamon Rockey of Betony in NYC opines, “Kola is one of the most surprisingly complex and exciting ingredients available.”
When properly utilized, it is able to clearly convey the flavors of popcorn, caramel, cinnamon, dulce de leche, and more. There is nothing else like it, and as I often feel with such unique ingredients, it is important that they’re allowed to express themselves individually. Only a bit of milk for weight, an egg for texture, and a bit of nutmeg for spice and aroma are the accompanying ingredients in this perfect drink to finish a meal.
- 4 ounces Kola Syrup (recipe follows)
- 4 ounces whole milk
- 2 whole eggs
- to taste, nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients except nutmeg in a blender.
- Add 6 to 8 cubes of ice and blend on high until smooth (about 45 seconds).
- Pour into chilled cordial glasses and grate nutmeg to finish.
- 1/4 pound dried kola nuts
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- Toast kola nuts in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes.
- Simmer, covered, in water for 1 hour.
- Strain out solids, add sugar to liquid, and cool.