- 1/2 pound haddock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 3 ounces red onions, julienned
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (50ml) olive oil
Spiced Onion Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 1/2 tablespoon fenugreek, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 1/8 cups haddock milk (the milk from poaching the haddock)
- 1 1/8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon crispy red onions
- 1/2 cup omelet ribbons
- 1 lime
- 3 cilantro pieces for garnish
Poached Haddock Instructions
- Bring about 2 cups of milk to just before a boil. Drop haddock into milk and poach for about 6 minutes.
- Remove cooked haddock and set aside; save milk for cooking rice.
- In a saucepan over high heat, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until dark. Turn off the heat. Add ground spices and stir for three seconds to toast them.
- In the bowl of a rice cooker, add the uncooked basmati rice. Add the onion and spice mixture and stir to coat the rice. Season the rice with salt, and add milk and water and cook in rice cooker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Once rice is cooked, add the cooked haddock and top with chives, scallions, and omelet ribbons, if using. Stir to combine. Finish with a squeeze of lime and fresh, roughly chopped cilantro.