- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small bulb fennel, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 bunch kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 cups (2.5L) water
- Select SAUTÉ, HI heat, and preheat the cooking bowl. Heat the olive oil until shimmering then add the onions, carrots, celery and fennel. Sauté until softened and starting to brown, 7–10 minutes. Reduce SAUTÉ level to MED and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. Add garlic during the last minute of cooking and stir constantly.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 3–5 minutes until caramelized. Add the kale, dried beans, bay leaf, thyme, salt, red pepper flakes and water, stirring to combine.
- Select PRESSURE COOK or SLOW COOK BEANS.
- When cooking has completed, adjust seasoning and serve immediately, topped with grated parmesan cheese.
PRESSURE COOK: 12.0 psi / 20 min / Natural
SLOW COOK: 5–7 hours HI, 9–11 hours LO