“Put it in a low temperature oven — the Smart Oven — that’s going to stay at a consistent temperature, and let it go until it’s tender, juicy, and done.” –Jamie Bissonnette
Chef Bissonnette won Food & Wine’s 2011 People’s Best New Chef Award. He is Executive Chef and Partner at Coppa and Toro in Boston, and has been featured on Chopped as well as in The Boston Globe, Gourmet, and Edible Boston.
- 6-pound boneless pork shoulder or butt roast (not tied)
- 1 cup (plus extra if needed) roasted garlic rub
- 2 cups roasted minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons salt
- ¼ cup coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 4 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Pimenton Espelette
- 3 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 5 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2½ teaspoons black peppercorn
- Preheat the Smart Oven® to 270 degrees F.
- Rub the pork with the seasoning mixture all over and inside any cavities, concentrating on boned side.
- Put pork, fat side up, in a roasting pan and roast in middle of oven 4 to 5 hours. As the pork fat renders, periodically pour off the fat from the pan and rotate the pork in the oven.
- When it is tender and ready, transfer roast to cutting board and let stand 20 minutes.
- Pull shreds apart with tongs into chunks. Serve.