If your New Year’s resolution is to stop drinking, please stop reading now. If your resolution is to keep the party going that you began last night, you’ve come to the right place. Grapefruit enjoys some popularity as a breakfast fruit, so we won’t stop you if you choose to enjoy your whole day off.
Fresh ingredients kick butt
We’re just coming into peak season for grapefruit in Arizona and California. From January to June, you can enjoy these fresh bittersweet citrus giants. For the Grapefruit Thai Warrior we are pitting two different types against each other — pink vs. white — in the battle to win over your palate. Mixing fresh grapefruit with fresh Thai basil is going to make your mouth sing and shout a barbaric yelp.
Remember to remove as much of the pith as you can before juicing the grapefruit in this recipe. There’s barbaric and then there’s uncivilized. This is a sweet drink and a sweet way to kick off a new year. Multiply the recipe to make a big bowlful for your friends.
The Grapefruit Thai Warrior
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and pith removed
- 1 white grapefruit, peeled and pith removed
- 6 Thai basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) grapefruit vodka
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) sugar syrup
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lime juice
- crushed ice
- Process grapefruit through juicer using a juice extractor.
- Place Thai basil leaves into a cocktail shaker. Press gently.
- Add grapefruit vodka, ¼ cup grapefruit juice, sugar syrup, lime juice and crushed ice and shake vigorously.
- Pour into a chilled glass. Top with lemonade if necessary. Remove leaves if desired.