Ingredients for cake
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 eggs separated
- 6 tablespoons freshly brewed espresso, cooled to room temperature (3 ounces or one double shot and one single shot)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Ingredients for Espresso syrup
- 1/3 cup freshly brewed espresso (2 & 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water mixed with 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Ingredients for fudge frosting
- 6 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Instructions for Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line the bottom of 3 round cake pans with wax paper. Brew your espresso and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, 1 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, egg yolks, espresso and vanilla, whisk lightly to blend.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixture, whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar on medium-low speed until frothy. Turn the mixer to high and gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add the espresso-egg yolk mixture to the dry ingredients and fold together just enough to combine. The batter will be runny at this time. Add in 1/4 of the beaten egg whites and fold them into the batter to lighten it. Fold in the remaining egg whites and mix just until no streaks remain then divide the batter among the three pans.
- Bake the cakes for about 18 minutes each and cool them completely in the pans. Once cooled, invert them onto wire racks.
Instructions for Espresso Syrup
In a bowl, stir together the espresso and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Add in the water and vanilla and let it cool to room temperature.
Instructions for Fudge Frosting
Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse to incorporate then process until the frosting is smooth.
Use a flat plate or platter. Place the first layer on, flat side up, and brush the cake with 1/3 cup of the espresso syrup. Spread fudge frosting evenly over the top of the layer. Repeat this for the next two layers then frost the sides.