Easy Osso Bucco
- 4-inch by 2-inch-thick Osso Bucco (Veal shanks, tied)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 cups tomato purée
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 2 teaspoons pesto
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 medium onion chopped 1/4-inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, chopped 1/4-inch thick
- 1 celery stick, chopped 1/4-inch thick
- Press the Sauté button then the start button. Heat the cooking bowl for 3 minutes with the lid on. Add the oil and heat for 1 more minute.
- Coat the osso bucco in flour, shaking off the excess and cook in small batches until lightly browned, then remove and set aside.
- Add in the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the wine and bring to a boil, simmering for 1 to 2 minutes and scaping any of the sediment from the bottom of the bowl.
- Return the osso bucco to the cooking bowl and add in the tomato purée, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover with the lid and press the Slow Cook High button and cook for 3 to 4 hours or press the Slow Cook Low button and cook for 6 to 7 hours.
- Stir in the chopped basil. Combine the pesto and lemon rind and sprinkle over the osso bucco just before serving.