As part of Breville’s “Road to the Recipe” series, we visited North End Grill in New York City to watch Chef Cardoz prepare these Braised Short Ribs.
Spice Blend Ingredients
- 3/4 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3/4 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 3/4 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 cinnamon stick, snapped in half lengthwise
- 1 dried red chile (1 to 1 1/2 inches in length)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Spice Blend Instructions
Grind the peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, cinnamon stick, and chile in an electric coffee/spice grinder until ground fine. Combine the ground spices with the paprika and turmeric in a small bowl.
Short Ribs Ingredients
- 2-1/2 pounds meaty short ribs (preferably English cut 2 inches X 3 inches )
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled and cut in half crosswise (about 1 head)
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 2 large)
- 1 large leek, tough leaves discarded and the rest chopped and washed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped carrot (about 2 large)
- 1 cup chopped celery, including the leaves
- 1-1/2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger (slice against the grain)
- 2 cups diced seeded tomatoes (about 5 medium) or 1-1/2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 tablespoons jaggery or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind Paste
Short Ribs Instructions
- Generously season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in pressure cooker on sear setting until shimmering and sear the ribs in 2 to 3 batches (don’t crowd the pot), until nicely browned on both sides, about 8 minutes total. Remove the short ribs and set aside.
- Add the garlic, onion, leek, carrots, celery, bay leaves, cloves, and ginger to the pot and continue to cook over sear setting until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, spice blend, red wine vinegar, red wine, and cook 5 minutes. Return the short ribs to pot, nestling them in between the vegetables, and add the stock. Stir in the jaggery and tamarind paste and season with salt.
- Bring the braise to a boil. Place the lid and bring up to pressure. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Release pressure and check the short ribs. Cook more if necessary.
- Adjust salt and skim the fat from the surface with a ladle.
- Ribs taste best if eaten the next day.