Here’s a classic recipe for an all-time Southern favorite…
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 12 eggs
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups buttermilk (I prefer Cruze’s)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 8 ounces melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Keep the unbaked pie shell in the fridge until ready to use … the crust should be nice and cold before baking (but not frozen).
- Whisk all other ingredients together, adding buttermilk in at the very end to avoid curdling.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cold, unbaked pie shell and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until you get an even jiggle throughout. You want the same kind of jiggle you would see on a panna cotta. It should not be too firm, because it will continue to cook and set up as it cools.
- Allow to cool for one hour before serving.