Ingredients for Cake
- 3 1/3 cups (27 ounces) pastry flour
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature.
- 5 1/4 cups (42 ounces) granulated sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups brewed coffee
- 2 cups milk
Ingredients for Cherry Compote
- 8 cups pitted fresh cherries or thawed frozen Bing cherries
- 2 cups kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Ingredients for Mascarpone Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound mascarpone
- 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted.
Cake Batter Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and baking powder then set aside. In a separate large bowl, cream the butter until smooth and cream. Gradually add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, fully incorporating each one before adding the next. Add in a bit of the flour mixture, then some of the milk, more flour mixture, then coffee, alternating each one but ending with the flour, scraping the bowl down repeatedly.
- Spoon the batter into the liners and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake, comes out clean. Set the cupcakes aside to cool as they will need to be completely cooled before frosting.
Cherry Compote Instructions
- Put the cherries, kirsch, sugar, orange zest, and cinnamon sticks into a large saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the cherries are softened and their juices are released, roughly 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, move the cherries to another bowl and continue to simmer the juices in the pan until the mixture becomes thick and can coat the back of a spoon. Pour the thickened liquid over the cherries and set aside to cool.
Mascarpone Frosting Instructions
- Whip the heavy cream on medium speed until soft peaks form, but do not over-whip.
- In another bowl, mix together the mascarpone and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture until incorporated.
- Make a hole in the center of each cupcake using a paring knife, making sure you do NOT go all the way to the bottom of the cupcake. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the cherry compote in to the center of each cupcake but reserving some.
- Frost the cupcakes with the mascarpone frosting and garnish with the reserved cherries.