“The ingredients may sound a little complicated, but put them in a salad together and they just sing.”
- 2 medium Fuji apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 heads red endive, stems removed, leaves separated and washed
- 4 heads green endive, stems removed, leaves separated and washed
- 1 cup Creamy Herb Dressing (recipe follows)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
Combine the apple slices, endive leaves, and about 1 cup of the dressing. Toss gently until the leaves are well coated with dressing. Season with the salt and pepper.
- On each of 6 plates, arrange the endive spears in a crisscross pattern, alternating the red and green endive spears, placing them opposite each other to create a foundation for each layer. Then place apple slices andalmonds. Then reverse the angle of the endive and build it up. This creates something architecturaaly sound and visually beautiful.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the almonds on each salad and garnish each with a few fresh parsley leaves. Serve immediately.
* When dressing any salad, the real important question is in the quantity of dressing to use. In this salad, you want the dressing to coat those ingredients really well. You’ve got to get in there with your hands and work the dressing into the endive.